iguassu falls

On July 22, 1973, I boarded the plane from Buenos Aires to Iguassu Falls ( or spelled/called Iguazu Falls, Iguazú Falls, Iguassu Falls, or Iguaçu Falls) and most of the first half of the trip after landing there is still a blur in my mind and due to circumstances very little was written in my letter that day.

All I can recall is landing at a one airplane airport, a lot of scurrying around and all of a sudden the entire place is empty, no one around and I am there all alone! The Itinerary said that a car would pick me up and take me to the hotel but after waiting 2 hours, and no car showing up, I looked for a phone but there wasn’t any—heck there wasn’t even a reservation desk! I really didn’t know what to do but I figured another plane would have to show up sooner or later even if it was only the plane I was scheduled to leave on the next day.

It was about 3:30 and I really don’t remember how long it was before my ‘rescuers’ came along. A couple in their 20s, from California, were backpacking their way across South America and they had just come from the jungle and were on their way to the Falls. Using their map we eventually came to a place where we caught a bus, then another bus, then a cab, then a ferry and finally another bus eventually getting to the hotel. I can just imagine coming all this way on my own–no way!

I invited the couple to have dinner with me and offered to get them a room for the night, which, if I had seen what the rooms were like first, I am sure they would have said no. I just looked up the hotel on google and 41 years later it is nothing like it was when I was there! My room was smaller than any room I have ever seen in a hotel. There was a curtain around a section of the floor and a drain which turned out to be the shower. The bed was a cot!

After we were all checked in I met the couple in the dining room and according to my notes the restaurant was beautiful. I was tired, hungry and absolutely amazed that I had remained so calm even though I faced the possibility of being in the middle of the jungle all night before the couple came along. Along with everything else it was cold and misty outside and so was my room!

The restaurant was pure French service and there was a trio playing rock ‘n roll Portuguese style. I had a scotch and soda, hearts of palm soup, assado (pot roast with a ½ pound mashed potatoes, vegetables and a platter of rice), bread, Bazillion coffee with 2 heaping teaspoons of real sugar and a dessert which seemed to be a combination of flan custard and rum like cake costing all of $2.70!! Funny but I made notes on all of this but nothing about the American couple. I just noticed all my notes were written on the back of 2 long laundry lists.

I was up at 10 AM to have breakfast and wait for the car to take me to the Falls. The couple had left leaving me a very sweet Thank You note but no way of getting in touch with them!.

My final note of this trip to Iguassu Falls is that I don’t remember the trip to the actual falls or did I make any notes regarding it–now that is strange!

On to Sao Paulo.

Posted August 19, 2014 by greatmartin in TRAVEL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: